"And if you SPEND YOURSELVES on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness and your night will become like the noonday."

"The Lord will continually guide you. He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."- Isaiah 58:10-11

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Out of Control

Out of Control

Today was well planned. I spent a good half an hour speaking face to face with the scheduling coordinator last week confirming the plans to see Dr. Bovie, the ENT, today and planning surgery if necessary for tomorrow morning for three of our kids. We talked about how far we were coming and why it was important to have open time on Friday morning for the surgeries. In fact, we had done this exact same thing in September with another child and it was ‘no problem,’ she assured me. I watched as she entered the names into the scheduling book and saw indeed space was available. We arrived at Kijabe last night all prepped for the 9am appointment today.

At 8:55 am we marched down to the clinic, cameras and video cameras in hand, ready to see Dr. Bovie. And he wasn’t there. I looked at the self-same scheduling coordinator with incredulity, reviewing the conversation we had less than a week ago. As if it was my fault, she looked at me and in broken English replied, “The doctor is off on Thursday and he is in Nairobi today and he doesn’t do surgery on Friday.” “But we talked about this last week and it was ‘no problem.” “Yes well his schedule has changed.” “Since last week? Why didn’t you call?” “You need to see Isaiah, the intern, first anyways, and then you will be scheduled to see Dr. Bovie, and then we schedule surgery for another time.” “But we talked about this last week, how we are coming from very far away and how we scheduled this same event in September and you remembered us and how it worked before.” “You just see Isaiah and we will see if he thinks you need to see Dr. Bovie tomorrow.” No apologies, no humility… that’s the way it is…

Angry – ohhh, I was SO angry. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been that angry before, which, I know, is a completely ungodly response, but I was very angry. Biting my tongue – HARD, I walked out with the three children to register them anyways. While waiting at the registration office, this sweet, old, American lady (probably 85 years old), came up to me and said, “Do you need some help?” With tears in my eyes I unloaded my frustration on her. She looked at me and without saying a word to me she put her hand on my back and started praying, “Lord, we know You know why these children are here and You know the timing that is best. We give this to You and know You are in control.” And she hugged me and left.

We spent the next hour getting them registered and then went back up to see Isaiah. Yes, he confirmed, they all three needed to see Dr. Bovie! REALLY?! We just needed to come back after lunch for hearing tests…

So we went back to my parent’s house and ate some lunch. During that time, my dad called from the hospital. For some miraculous reason, Dr. Bovie had returned from Nairobi and my dad was somehow able to speak to him. He relayed our situation to him and Dr. Bovie wanted to see all three children right away in the clinic. We rushed, excitedly down to the clinic. He walked in with a huge smile and said, “Don’t even start talking to me or I will start crying, come on back.” I was already teary. And he took the time out of his day off to see each one of them and to explain what each one needs and to make a plan to get them hearing again! One of them is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning, the others will come back in a few months for their surgeries. It was a truly miraculous day! Miraculous!

So what was this all about? I think partly it was a reminder for me, in my Type A, first-born desire to keep things organized, that I am not in control. And despite my best efforts, I ultimately will fail unless I recognize that God is in control.

No comments: