"And if you SPEND YOURSELVES on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness and your night will become like the noonday."

"The Lord will continually guide you. He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."- Isaiah 58:10-11

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Little House on the Prairie Day



Had a 'Little House on the Prairie' day yesterday. Can't believe I actually had a day like this. Never thought it would happen in a million years.

After my QT, I started my day by soaking my laundry in a bucket full of rain water and detergent. Then we drove it (fortunately my parents were leaving and we were able to drive it up) the half mile up to the top of the hill. After saying our good byes, we (the kids and I and some of the mama's from the home) spent about an hour scrubbing clothes and rinsing them in the great well water. (Got a blister on my fingers and sunburned my arms doing laundry! :) - never thought I'd say those words...) Thank God for this water! SO helpful for doing laundry. Then we (me and the kids) hauled it back down the hill on our heads and hung it on a line to dry.

Schooled the kids - so great to be able to do this outside!

Then we helped 'prepare' dinner. Caleb helped cut the head off of a chicken! Then we dumped it in hot water and Katie helped pulled the feathers out while Caleb ran around chasing everyone with a chicken head. I made one of our family favorites 'Mango, Chicken, and Corn Salad'. Spent about 2 hours preparing it over a fire. The chicken boiled over the open fire (I encourage you to try this outside on your fire pit). They have these small metal buckets called 'jiko's' that hold hot coals. Julia and our houseworker Estther cooked chipati (like a bread pancake) over one of these while the chicken cooked. Rachel took the donkey with Faith, one of Joseph's 12 year old granddaughters, to the bottom of the hill to get water - twice. Then I de-boned the chicken. Was going to get rid of the skin and bones but the Maasai actually eat these. So I cooked the 'meat' in spices for everyone, and then I cooked the skin and bones in spices for them! We really enjoyed our American meal. They must have too - everyone had seconds...

CRAZY!!! I'll tell you what - water is a GIFT. A GIFT! I hasn't rained here in two days and we are out of rain water. It is VERY challenging to get enough clean water to cook with, wash with, and drink. Today, we are praying for rain!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! What a post! I kept reminding myself...this is a current post and not something from the 1800s! Is this your normal living conditions or just for now? I just saw Michelle Buckun yesterday and asked her how you were and she posted this on FB. Praying for you all!! And praying for rain!

Rachel Metzger said...

So glad to be able to follow your journey on here! We cherish the day we had with your family before you left. I've always said I would love to live in Little House on the Prairie days, but after reading your post, I'm not so sure!
We'll pray for rain with you, and for your work there. Lots of love to all of you!
Rachel M. =o)

K said...

Ann,

I loved reading about Caleb chasing the others with a chicken head! What a crazy experience. Wonderful. So beautiful to hear of Julia's baptism. Hope you are doing well and adjusting to this new life in Africa! Best to you and we'll continue to pray for your family!

Kim B

Jen Gifford said...

Hey Smith family!! Have been thinking about you a TON!! Our family continues to pray for you. Although this is my first reading of your blog, I can promise you that we will continue to check it weekly. How awesome to be able to get such detailed, personal updates so easily! This morning I was praying that during tough seasons God would prove to be more than enough while you are so far from family and loved ones. I meant it in more of a social/emotional sense, but I'm sure that God will meet the physical needs that each natural,"annual" season presents (like rain!!) Much love to you all. Keep us posted!!

Jen Gifford :)

Jen Gifford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.